Tuesday, March 20, 2007

 

Houghton le Spring, Tyne & Wear: Lisa Green

When Lisa Green took her newborn baby to her sisters home, only a few doors away from her own, a gang of youths gathered outside.
They shouted abuse and hurled missiles at the windows.
Lisa approached them and said: ‘Please stop it, my baby can’t sleep.’ The youths pretended to apologise but when she turned her back, they attacked her.
Lisa, 26, told Mums’ Army: ‘I was pulled to the ground by my hair and kicked and punched from every direction. My family tried to help me but they were held back by youths with knives and broken bottles. The attack lasted 25 minutes, until the police arrived. One of the ring leaders was arrested and I was taken to hospital. I lost four teeth, had a suspected fractured cheekbone, extensive bruising and impaired vision.
‘Weeks later, three more arrests were made. Yet all were released and no further action was taken. I was scared to go outside alone, but determined not to let my attackers get away with it. So finally I wrote to the Independent Police Complaints Commission and after my case was investigated, two officers were charged with misconduct.
‘All I wanted was for those responsible to be punished but when police failed to do that, I had to do something.
Lisa, of Houghton-le-Spring, has moved twice since her attack, which took place in Sunderland. She says: ‘I’m joining Mums’ Army because I want to do everything I can to help change things and protect my three children.’
Lisa Green,
Houghton le Spring, Tyne & Wear
Tel: 07858 302776



Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?