Monday, September 18, 2006

 

Gravesend, Kent: Julie Sherwood

For over a year Julie Sherwood was victimised by yobs and she dreaded the walk home from work or to the local shops. Julie, 34, says: ‘I have moved to a new area now, but I am still wary of youths who seem to know that no one can touch them. The local teenagers in my area could sense that I was scared and vulnerable because I lived alone. They vandalised my property, verbally abused me daily and when I asked them to stop, they got worse.
‘I was not a priority for the police and I realised that I had to do something myself. I persuaded my neighbours to sign a petition and I set up meetings with local MP’s and leisure centres to arrange free tennis coaching for teenagers — this gave them something to do and the situation did improve.
‘Mums’ Army makes you realise you’re not the only one suffering. We must take control and stop being the victims.’
Julie Sherwood,
Gravesend, Kent
E-mail: julie@juliesherwood.com

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?